by Marcella Kukulka
Do you ever find yourself longing for some home-cooked food, but no kitchen to work in? Surprise your tastebuds with these amazing microwave recipes made to satisfy every craving.
Some Sundays are for sleeping in late and binge-watching Netflix, others are for getting dressed up and going out to luxurious brunches. Can’t find the energy to get out your pajamas? Get the best of both worlds; Try this Cinnamon French Toast so you can stay in bed all day long!
- Melt butter in microwave for about 30 seconds. Tilt mug to coat all sides with butter.
- Stir milk, egg, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla extract together in the mug.
- Take 2 slices of bread and cut them into cubes.
- Put cubes into mug making sure they are completely submerged in mixture.
- Microwave on High for about 90 seconds.
Looking for a tasty midday snack that will curb your hunger until it’s time for dinner? Try this delicious recipe for Avocado Bread with Poached Egg!
- Poach the egg
- Pour water into mug and crack egg inside. Make sure the egg is fully submerged.
- Cover the mug with a small plate and microwave on high for 1 minute or until egg white is firm.
- Putting it all together
- Scoop avocado half into a bowl and mash with back side of a fork.
- Add salt, pepper and any other additional spices you like
- Spread the chunky avocado paste onto bread
- Sprinkle feta cheese on the paste and add tomato slices on top.
- Carefully transfer the egg onto the toast.
Are you feeling junky after your 50th bowl of Ramen? Try this Pesto Quinoa Spinach Bowl recipe for a healthier and more fulfilling option!
- Place spinach in bottom of bowl
- Follow instructions on microwavable quinoa packet
- Strain quinoa and put into separate bowl
- Mix in pesto with the quinoa
- Add cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and black olives to quinoa
- Place quinoa mixture on top of spinach
- OPTIONAL: Add “sneaked-from-the-dining-hall-chicken” for extra protein
Probably the simplest yet most mouth-watering recipe in the book - Gourmet Mac n’ Cheese. Nuff said.
- Place macaroni shells and water into bowl
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain majority of water from macaroni.
- Stir in 3 cheeses of your preference (suggested: cheddar, gouda, and muenster)
- Microwave if more gooiness needed
When cramming for midterms at 3am it’s important to reward yourself for all the hard work. Take a break by making S’mores Cake in a Mug. It’s chocolatey-goodness with leave you with just the right amount of caffeine to carry you over until your next exam!
- Combine the beaten egg, melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, and sugar in a mug
- Add milk and stir until combined
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon until smooth
- Stir in the chocolate
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds
- Place marshmallow on top and heat for 30 more seconds.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.